What We Have To Offer
A Specialized Program & Facility
The Art Centre at Central Technical School has been designated as one of the most specialized Visual Art Programs in the Toronto District School Board. This specialized art program is made up of interrelated subjects; broken into component parts resulting in an intense and thorough curriculum.
Our unique facility was created to teach the fundamental skills necessary to fulfill a career in art. It’s philosophy is grounded on the apprenticeship schools in the British tradition and on the famous Bauhaus Institute. Now in it’s fifth decade as a separate complex of specialized and dedicated studios, shops and classrooms, the Art Centre is continuing to attract serious minded students of all ages who wish to pursue their vocation in the art arena.
Art, at CTS, is the only place where adolescents and adults come together to learn. The post-secondary alternative program is a vital part of the success potential of the high school course. Our adults bring the level of expectation up; they elevate our adolescents while creating an atmosphere of safety and serious burgeoning creative learning.
At CTS, we promote and present visual art for those intending to pursue a career in the art and design field. We are a unique group of specialists, not generalists, who bring to our particular area of expertise a degree of instruction, professionalism and enthusiasm that one expects only to experience in higher learning facilities.
Our facilities are simply the best! And our complex rivals those of any post-secondary institution.
Our Teachers are Artist / Instructors!
With professional experience, credentials, resumes, and honours to rival art education facilities anywhere, our staff is committed to the teaching and training of skills and knowledge for a serious art career.
See For Yourself!
• 16 dedicated, specialized studios with northern skylights
• separate ceramic studio (equipped with 10 wheels).
• kiln room (the largest in any secondary school with 2 walk-in gas kilns and several electric).
• the only bronze foundry in a secondary school in Canada.
• the best full facility sculpture studio in Toronto (with areas for life modelling, casting, carving, as well as a
fabrication pit for construction and welding).
• two large life drawing studios.
• dedicated design and painting studios.
• a huge printmaking studio (with 2 lithography and 2 etching presses, screen printing, and a vented
• a specialized art history room connected to the internet.
• 2 computer labs with up to date Mac equipment.
• 2 darkrooms for traditional film processing and printing.
• video and digital film editing lab.